application period has closed
The Mississippi Free Press, an award-winning nonprofit digital newsroom with national impact, run by the nonprofit Mississippi Journalism and Education Group, is seeking a Business Manager to join our diverse, cohesive and mutually supportive team. The women-founded Mississippi Free Press, named the Institute for Nonprofit News’ Startup of the Year in 2021, launched at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020 and immediately attracted widespread attention nationally and, at times, even internationally for our mission-driven coverage of vital issues and stories.
The Business Manager will work mostly in the MJEG/MFP office space in downtown Jackson to manage/coordinate all fiscal- and nonprofit business-related matters to ensure the organization’s continued compliance and financial health and accountability. This includes working with our CEO, accounting firm and board treasurer to coordinate and oversee accounts payable and receivables, grant funding allocations, reconciliations and other accounting-related tasks. The business manager supports the CEO and the Publisher/Chief Revenue Officer with basic HR duties like new-hire documents, compliance, and all insurance and workers’ compensation filings, and creates and tracks all agreements with employees and contractors, as well as expense payments and tracking. The Business Manager will provide collaborative leadership in several areas of financial management and support the board of directors to create all relevant business and financial reports.
The MJEG Business Manager will also be responsible for overseeing the annual nonprofit audit and 990 preparation process, acting as a liaison between MJEG management and CEO, our auditing firm, our accounting firm, and our board president and treasurer. This person is responsible for researching answers to all compliance-related questions with the proper agencies and experts, and will manage our state-level and charitable registrations.
This position requires at least three years of experience in a position with similar responsibilities and familiarity with nonprofit compliance and financial reporting requirements. It helps if candidates enjoy a fast-paced work environment in a mission-driven, collaborative environment.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with the desire to help chart the organization’s future and growth potential, willing to assist the CEO and the Publisher to develop business and strategic plans to align with organizational goals and sustainability.
The Business Manager will become part of a collaborative, inclusive and supportive team who will help you grow your skills and career. All staff members are invited to brainstorm ideas about how to strengthen our organization, our media coverage and our reach throughout diverse counties across Mississippi. We prefer candidates with Mississippi roots.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong competency using QuickBooks and other accounting tools
- Willingness to use collaborative tools including Basecamp and Google Drive daily
- Very organized and excellent time-management skills
- Knowledge of nonprofit compliance and reporting requirements
- Good communication by phone, in person and virtually
- Collaboration and teamwork skills
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Business writing and editing skills, especially grant writing
- Experience communicating and working with board director
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Monitoring company resources
- Recommending and implementing continual improvements to processes and procedure
- Working with staff to regularly analyze data and compare to goals
- Monitoring budgeted revenue/budget performance benchmarks
- Reviewing financial reports to improve budgets and annual operating costs
- Coordinating with CEO and Board on continual improvement to all fiscal systems
- Maintaining all payroll and HR-related records
- Maintaining all financial files and guaranteeing secure systems
- Overseeing employee paid time off (PTO) reports and schedules
- Managing all annual compliance and charitable paperwork and registrations
- Oversee use of donor platforms and monitor and review all fundraising activity reports
Starting Pay and Benefits
- Starting pay is $50,000 a year with rapid growth potential. Immediate hire.
- MJEG/MFP currently pays 50% of the employee’s medical, vision and dental benefits through our group plan; family members can be covered through employee contributions.
- This position will receive a total of 24 days of PTO and nine holidays for 33 total paid days off a year. We are closed on seven non-religious holidays and provide two floater days for staff members to use for either religious or non-religious days off due to their personal preference and needs.
Send cover letter and resume to both CEO Donna Ladd at [email protected] and Executive Assistant Shaye Smith at [email protected]
The Mississippi Journalism and Education Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status in any area of its operations.